Opinion: Skyrim’s Cicero – The Most Annoying Video Game Character Of All Time?

He’s the world’s campest jester. He’s the most unlikely member of the Dark Brotherhood imaginable. And every time he opens his mouth I feel an overwhelming urge to wallop him with the biggest damn mace I can lay my hands on.

For those of you who haven’t yet had the dubious ‘pleasure’ of being introduced, I’m talking about Cicero – a character from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim who may well be the most annoying video game character ever conceived. I’ve only been able to endure a matter of seconds in his company so far, and already I fear to return to the Dark Brotherhood’s sanctuary because I’m so terrified of encountering him again.

Oh, there have been annoying characters before of course. Whiny brat Steve from Resident Evil: Code Veronica X; pretty-much the entire cast of Final Fantasy XIII. But this guy really does take the accolade, sending the player into fits of horrified, teeth-gnashing agony. It’s partly his patronising attitude, it’s partly his ridiculous get-up and demeanour (particularly given his line of work, where you’d imagine subtlety might come in handy). But it’s mainly that voice – an ear-piercing, high-pitched whoop reminiscent of this guy from The Simpsons.

So if you’ve yet to bump into the eccentric loon and are thinking of joining the Dark Brotherhood, you have been warned. And if you’ve already had the misfortune of meeting him, I feel your pain…

Who are the most annoying video game characters you’ve had to endure? Post your own choices below.

Comments
12 Responses to “Opinion: Skyrim’s Cicero – The Most Annoying Video Game Character Of All Time?”
  1. Dan Jenko says:

The most annoying character has to be Murphy from Rayman 2: The Great Escape. He basically was just in the tutorial and the first time I played it I literally just wanted to quit and never play it again. Good thing, I did continuing playing, because it quickly became one of my favourite games of all time. But by god, was he annoying.

2. Stephanus says:

I actually like Cicerro.

3. jonathan says:

The lute players in the Assassins Creed series are pretty annoying, so is Na’vi from Ocarina of Time.

4. Jerm says:

Cicero doesn’t even BEGIN to compare to Tingle.

5. Kali says:

I have a crush on him. If you could have a lover on Skyrim I would chose him.

6. Luna says:

I actually think he’s cute… XD

7. Karen says:

Dude, I love this guy, he’s adorable. Says the funniest things ever; I made him my follower just to hear him spout random jokes and nonsense and hear him giggle from time to time. I think a little eccentricity and personality shouldn’t be so frowned upon, he’s literally the only character in Skyrim that’s got his own personality and is remotely unique. He’s like The Joker of Skyrim.

And man, I felt really bad for him after reading his journals.

8. turtle057 says:

i liked him, but he really gets on my nerve
    every time i give him some stuff he goes “ooohh listener! that tickles! (giggling in a very disturbing way)
    i regretted letting him live that moment

9. I agree with Karen. Cicero is adorable and is one of the few in Skyrim that actually has his own personality that no-one else matches in all of the game. While some may find him annoying, I can’t seem to serve how. And when he giggles about me giving him items, it is kinda disturbing. But I’d say it’s funny too. Kinda disturbingly and adorably hilarious. I love Cicero, he’s one of my favorite characters in all of any video games. He makes me laugh, and if you read his journals, feel a little sorry for how he went completely and utterly insane. I think it just depends on the person.